The company nextdoor has 2 PC's. Only one is connected to the Internet, and this is the Big Bad Internet.
For some reason, they put this computer full with spyware. This computer is so overloaded with spyware that it does not function at all anymore. It is impossible to start any program. So that's where I should kick in.
My computer's at work and at home don't have any spyware problem. Why, I don't know but I think I know why:
- I have the lateste patches from Microsoft installed
- I have some anti-virus program running, that also includes a firewall, parental control etc.
- My kids and wife are not administrators, and have their own account
Now back to the fight.
First thing, was trying to install an anti-virus and anti-spyware application. But this computer was so terribly slow, this was impossible.
The I tried to install from safe-mode (using the magic F8 during boot). But then you cannot install anything.
Then the Big Bad Internet came to the rescue:
- Using tools from Sysinternals was able to delete a lot of startup shit. Use the Autoruns for this.
- Then using Sysclean from TrendMicro, I was able to scan the machine without being connected to the internet, and without having to install all kinds of stuff.
So after 2 weeks (!!!) this PC was back to a state where it was stable to install software.
First thing the user did was to install some virus that disable the anti-virus software.
Links to this post: